Honoring the Past with Help for the Future
Mrs. Ruth Hill, known to all as "Granny", had a lifelong passion for golf. Into her late 70's, she played an incredible three times a week, enjoyed a "Bud" at the turn, and always had a joke to tell. Her smile brought joy and her grace blessed all who knew her. The day of her 75th birthday was very cold (so cold she had to wait for the greens to thaw out!) but she was determined to play 75 holes! Granny was not about to let a little thing like the weather spoil her birthday!
To honor her contributions to the game, and to provide educational assistance to deserving young Piney Point Members, this Scholarship fund was established in 1995. After Granny's death, the name was changed to The Granny Hill Memorial Scholarship. In 2006, the Scholarship amount was increased from $500 to $1,000! Membership certainly does have its benefits! Twenty-two scholarships have been awarded to deserving young men and women; a continuing course of great play and successful futures thanks to Granny Hill.
The scholarship will be awarded in June. Good luck!
- A 2.0 or higher Grade Point Average.
- Applicant must be a full-time high school or college student.
- Applicant must be a member of Piney Point Golf Club in good standing, and must have exhibited a knowledge of both golf etiquette and the rules of the game of golf to the golf club staff.
- Application form fully completed, including school transcripts for years attended, two letters of recommendation from - teacher, minister, guidance counselor, golf professional, principal, sports coach, etc.
- Two page typewritten essay describing your goals and need for the scholarship.
- And finally, you must meet the deadline for submission of May 15th.
Click here to download a scholarship application, or call Call Piney Point Golf Club for more information about the Granny Hill Scholarship at(704) 474-3985 for more information.